Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Getting My Groove Back

I have a degree in photography, a B.A. in Photocommunications to be exact, but when I graduated from college, life threw me a curve ball, my daughter. Trying to be the type of mom I envisioned I would be, I put any career ambition on hold and became a stay-at-home mom. After several years of being a mom and not really doing anything with my photography, I decided I needed to start taking photographs again. I began taking photos for friends and people I worked with. My first real break came when I took a profile photo and some yoga poses for a friend's blog; that photography job lead to another friend approaching me to do some photographs for her website. Now, I've been rebuilding my portfolio slowly but surely for almost two years. Not all photography jobs I've taken during this time have been glamorous, and some have been challenging, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience and finally feel like I'm starting to really get my "photography groove" back. Sometimes I feel like I'm having to re-learn things and other times I'm having to learn something new (since technology has changed photography quite a bit since I was in school), but I'm trying. I may not be as hip and trendy as other photographers out there, but hopefully I'll find my niche.

I decided I needed to start trying to market myself. I designed a simple business card, made some fliers and started a SmugMug account to have a place to put photos for people to see. I want a website, but since my business is still pretty small and money is tight, I put it on hold. My friend Kellie suggested a blog. Being kind of shy, I hesitated. But I decided I needed another platform to get my name out to people, so I took a leap and started this blog. A website will come in time if it's meant to be. I'm not sure if I'll even have one person read this, but if you happen to stumble across this, maybe you'll see something you like or at the very least it will give you something to do while you're on hold with someone on the phone.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on following your heart and pursuing a career doing what you love! You have really come a LONG way in 2 years!!

    ReplyDelete